6 replies
Who's talking? (4)
Annie D.
Krystle V.
Tracy F.
Elizabeth B.

Separation/Stranger Anxiety

Annie D. 6 years ago

Does anyone have any good tips for dealing with separation and stranger anxiety? My son is so attached to me and he gets freaked out if anyone other than my family gets near him.

Krystle V.
Krystle V. 6 years ago

How old is your son? I would say maybe to try and have some friends come over for him to get use to other people or maybe a mothers helper or or babysitter? Here is a good link http://www.babycenter.com/0_separation-anxiety_12652.bc

Annie D.
Annie D. 6 years ago

Thanks for the tips and link Krystle! My son is 15 months old but its been going on a few months.

The article mentioned using a lovey when you go out which I think I'll have to try. Hope it works! 

Tracy F.
Tracy F. 6 years ago

We have similar issues.   Two things that were suggested lately to me.  First make sure to get wherever you are going early so your kid is the first one there and can settle in before being confronted by other kids/moms etc.. Second try to take your child to the same place/same time/same group each week so they feel comfortable and know what to expect.   The second one only partially works for me but I am going to try the first one this week at a new class. 

Elizabeth B.
Elizabeth B. 6 years ago

Annie, our sons are about the same age and though mine doesn't have a lot of stranger anxiety, I try to set things up so he doesn't feel pressured. Sometimes well-meaning friends will want to engage with my son right after meeting him, which he can find off-putting, but I let them know that he likes to observe and see us chatting first. At some point, my son will get curious and want to get near the "new" person. Some people find it hard to be patient, but it's sweet when someone gives your child that space to get comfortable. My son also finds it more enticing when the new person is at his level (like sitting on the floor).

Annie D.
Annie D. 6 years ago

Thanks Tracy and Elizabeth. Those sound like great tips and I will definitely try them. 

Tracy F.
Tracy F. 6 years ago

That also works for us when people are patient and almost ignore my son.  He typically becomes more curious to check them out.  Also I was told to do more one on one playdates and less group stuff.