6 replies
Who's talking? (4)
Krystle V.
Tracy F.
Amy S.
Jodi A.

Dentist?

Krystle V. 6 years ago

When did you bring your little one for their first dentist apt? My dentist said age one but all my friends seem to take their kids later on?!

Tracy F.
Tracy F. 6 years ago

I think its really not necessary until 2 years old but some dentists believe you should start taking them right away so they get used to it from the beginning and you establish a good relationship before the dentist really needs to do anything.   My son is almost 16 months and he hasn't been yet.  I feel pretty confident he is going to freak out so we are putting it off until necessary. 

Amy S.
Amy S. 6 years ago

If your insurance covers it I vote go early! Here is why. I never went with my son, and then at 2.5 he had a tooth emergency. We had to find a dentist, bring him and it was stressful. I wished I had been to one prior at that point.

For my girls, I have gone since 1 year old every 6 months. The visits are kind of silly BUT you get the child used to a dentist (hopefully their long term dentist) and you get them used to someone poking and cleaning their teeth.

It is good to have the dental history on record. If insurance does not cover regular checkups, I would seriously wait until 3ish.

Krystle V.
Krystle V. 6 years ago

We did not add her to our dentist plan (silly us) so we do not have it covered. I ended up cancelling my apt and am going to wait until at least 18 mths. My dr said as long as she is checking them she should be good. Also another question-at age one did you brush with toothpaste or water? I use water only now-when do I introduce toothpaste? I got some at wholefoods but am not sure if I need to use yet? 

Jodi A.
Jodi A. 6 years ago

I took both of my kids at age 1. I liked the idea of them getting used to it. I explain it as the "tooth doctor" has to check to make sure their teeth are healthy like the rest of their body. I found it makes the transition easier using toothpaste and floss when they hear it from the dentist.

Amy S.
Amy S. 6 years ago

I do not remember exact age but we were using the baby friendly toothpaste quite early. You get the one with no flouride, safe for baby. I think it makes brusing even more intriguing to them.

You transition to kid toothpaste when they can spit. I found this was around 4 years old.

Krystle V.
Krystle V. 6 years ago

Great! I was using just water I just got some tooth paste at whole foods!