4 replies
Who's talking? (4)
Krystle V.
Tracy F.
Rachel A.
Harmony A.

Best way to get a toddler to listen?

Krystle V. 5 years ago

Help! My daughter is the best so good but sometimes she just wont listen..Like when she throws all her dinner all over the floor. I tell her no..it makes me sad...take it away..doesn't work! any ideas :)

Tracy F.
Tracy F. 5 years ago

Its hard.   I usually try to determine if they are doing something to get attention or if they are frustrated etc..   If to get attention, I would tell them no but not really react and completely ignore them for a period of time. Some people would say make them help pick it up but I don't think that works at this age.   If you can find times that she is listening praise her as much as possible then and hope that reinforces the behavior that you want.  If you think she is frustrated, I would give words and even sign language for all done and tell her to let you know when she is all done this way.   Some specific actions like throwing food can also just be them experimenting and testing limits and all you can do is have the same response every time until they get bored of it. 

Rachel A.
Rachel A. 5 years ago

Tracy, I totally agree with you. It is hard at times though to tell if they want attention or if they are just testing you. My daughter is 1.5 yrs old and does this stuff more often now. The whole testing limits and experimenting is their way of learning and i think every single toddler goes thru it :)

Krystle V.
Krystle V. 5 years ago

1.5 years is fun right LOL!

Harmony A.
Harmony A. 5 years ago

1.5 is fun! you get to see your child turn into alittle person have a personality begin to tell you what they want. It's when you try to laugh it off when they act up if you ignore it the longer it will take for you to gain control over the situation my second boy was nothing like my third boy it is Very difficult.