Linda O.
Krystle V.
Naomi V.
Alexandra S.
Jennie T.
Cordelia H.

Do people still breastfeed in public?

Linda O. 6 years ago

I just recently became a mom (May 10, 2013). I am an active mom and I like to take my daughter out with me which means that I often have to feed her while out.  I have noticed (or not noticed) that there are not a lot of moms breastfeeding their babies in public.  Are there other moms out there that breastfeed their babies in public (discretely of course)?

Krystle V.
Krystle V. 6 years ago

100% I did!!! I bought a nursing cover it was great!

Krystle V.
Krystle V. 6 years ago

be proud!

Naomi V.
Naomi V. 6 years ago

Yes definitely! For the first 5 months we used/ nursed in a moby wrap, after we used an ergo carrier and still do. She's 20 months & if we don't have it I just whip it out. She never liked to be covered and really once she's latched it's not more cleavage than a bikini top or low cut top. Hang in there. Can also follow this milk matters: breast feeding support page on facebook 

Alexandra S.
Alexandra S. 6 years ago

Yes, absolutely!  If I had my nursing cover with me I'd use it but if I didn't, oh well!  I think there's a lot more out there nursing than you think, you might just not see it while you're out.  My girlfriends and I would meet during the week and we'd all breastfeed while we were out.  If you have the Aden and Anais blankets, they make great nursing covers.  I just tied two of the corners together and hung it around my neck.  Be proud you are nursing and keep at it, mama!  You're doing a great job.  We all gotta eat :)  

Jennie T.
Jennie T. 6 years ago

It depends where you are.  If I'm in the mall, I'll head over to Nordstroms and use their super comfy mother's lounge.  I don't mind nursing out in public, however, my 8 1/2 month old girl gets so distracted by her own curiosity that she'll spend most of the nursing time looking around rather than latching on.  She's been on solids for two months, and even though I am exclusively breastfeeding (i.e. no formula), I do prefer to give her a bottle of pumped milk if we are out rather than nursing her, just because she's getting used to feeding herself.  She also needs to nurse less frequently, and I'm usually not out with her for longer than four hours at a time.  When I was on maternity leave during the first four months, I nursed just about everywhere.  Nowadays, she's older and getting more independent.  

I nurse her all night next to me side lying.

Linda O.
Linda O. 6 years ago

Thanks for the support and response.  I will keep at it.  Maybe I'm just a little more sensitive about it because I am a new mom and I was born and partly raised overseas.  In Europe and other parts of the world, I saw it a lot more.  

I would love to meet other breastfeeding moms.  I live in Marina Del Rey and I am also organizing a public breastfeeding event this Thursday at the Santa Monica Place mall at noon if any one wants to come out to support the breastfeeding cause.

Cordelia H.
Cordelia H. 6 years ago

yes, of course! Feeding your baby is a natural thing to do. You should no feel ashamed to do so.