Feeding & Nutrition
2 replies
Who's talking? (3)
Tracy F.
Rachel M.
Krystle V.

Weekly Healthy Living Series (Week 4) - DIY Beauty Treatments

Tracy F. 6 years ago

About The Series:  Welcome back to our weekly healthy living series. Subscribe to our newsletter to be notified each week when the post is up.

This Week's Guest Expert:  We are excited to introduce Rachel Myers, Founder of Green Hugs and Childbirth Educator at Bini Birth

About Rachel: Rachel Myers is a  mom of a kind-hearted seven year old little dude and a five year old, ridiculously silly little girl.  She is a Green Nest and Healthy Home Advocate and Childbirth Educator.  Rachel owns the company Green Hugs and teaches classes at a fantastic Birth Eduction Center, BINI Birth. She helps to provide families with simple, economical and healthy ways to green their nest.  She believes that even the smallest changes that parents make in their nesting choices can have huge impacts on the environment and health of their families. Rachel thinks that sometimes the things we think we can't live without are things that we should never actually be living with. She makes the learning process fun and pro-active, by creating a green support group in her Childbirth Classes and New Mom and Pregnant Mom Support Groups. She also does, Green Home Consults and can empower you to make changes in your home from food to cleaning.

In another life Rachel worked as a Community Organizer for the Sierra Club.  She is also the Vice President and Owner of Root Construction, an environmental, green building construction company and does green home and business consulting. Rachel can be found most days at BINI Birth in Sherman Oaks in the BINI Green Boutique that she helped to create and co-manages!

Working with Rachel
:  Want to meet with Rachel in person?  She will be hosting the following:

• a Green Baby Care class on August 11th at Bini Birth for new and expectant parents.  Email rachel@binibirth.com.
  • a Green Your Nest workshop perfect for any parents looking to make eco-friendly changes in their home and environment.  Date TBD.  Email info@socalmoms.com to join the interest list.

Rachel M.
Rachel M. 6 years ago

Hi all! So happy to be part of this discussion! Here is an article that I thought you may enjoy! 

Mothering Yourself Day!

Conception, Pregnancy, Birth, Motherhood…. This is the epic journey that we have dedicated our heart, mind and body to. It is so easy to loose sight of ourselves in this process. We forget the sugar scrubs, yoga classes, hair salons and manicures that sometimes can be all we need to reconnect to ourselves. Self-care goes by the wayside and family care takes the forefront.

I often joke as a green mama of two little ones that I don’t often ask for help. Ever. I can be carrying my daughter on one hip, groceries on the other, managing a temper tantrum while talking on the cell phone and if someone asked me if I needed help, my first reaction would be, “I got it!”

Here are some ideas on how to meet our needs that are fun, green and can be done on a budget. Remember, it is a necessary lesson to teach our kids that we have self-worth and that pampering can be healthy and fun!

For the DIY Mama:

Green Mama’s Scrub Your Cares Away Sugar Scrub:

1 small jelly jar with a lid

2 cups of granulated organic sugar

1 cup of olive oil

A few sprigs or rosemary/thyme or any herbs you have growing

Put it all together and leave Mom alone so she can actually take a shower alone and only have to scrub her own bottom!

For the Mani/Pedi Mama:

This Little Piggy Greener Pedi Party: www.piggypaint.com

In my constant quest for the cleanest and greenest beauty products, I stumbled upon Piggy Paint, Non-toxic, odorless, safe as mud nail polish for kids!  They are affordable, safe and come in colors for all your favorite piggies.

Light some soy candles get the polish ready and give Mom a mini pedi party! It doesn’t need to be perfectly applied; it’s the thought that counts! Added bonus: sipping a mimosa while getting pampered!

For the Mama whose Hairdo is a Don’t:

Nori’s Eco Salon: The Mecca of healthy hair pampering! www.norisecosalon.com

If you are in the Los Angeles area, I highly recommend setting up a cut and color for Mom at, Nori’s Eco Salon. The first thing you notice upon arrival is that it doesn’t smell like a salon. With the lack of chemical smell comes a sense of peace and consciousness that helps green mama’s look as good outside as we want to feel inside! Roya, the owner is a wealth of knowledge and info in regards to green living and beauty. All I can say is I went from blah to hubba hubba without having to sacrifice my health or environmental standards.  

For the Green Mama to Be:

Green Hugs, Green Nest Consults and Babycare Classes! 

Krystle V.
Krystle V. 6 years ago

cant wait to get piggy paint for my little girl :)