Who's talking? (5)
Krystle V.
Jennie T.
Mandee L.
Tracy F.
Jennifer L.

Getting back in shape

Krystle V. 6 years ago

I still need to drop some pounds since having my daughter one year ago haha! What has worked for you? And when do you excersize? Its hard to find time! I jog in the am before work some days but I need more than that!

Jennie T.
Jennie T. 6 years ago

Breastfeeding!

Also, working out while you are pregnant, which is what I did every day of my pregnancy including the day my water broke.  I went back to the gym 12 days after I gave birth.  I gained 49lbs during my pregnancy.  I've lost 51lbs in just 17 weeks.  I also bought a stairclimber for home off Ebay really cheap.  My gym is Spectrum at the Howard Hughes center, and they have a fantastic daycare there that's $49 / month on top of your membership (which is just over a dollar a day if you go every day).  You get two hours to work out while they watch your child.  

But, for those who didn't or couldn't do what I did (cos I'm a freak of nature, or something along those lines), what also works is eating every two hours, and eating lots of organic foods.  No salt (causes water weight).  Meat and veg is best; limit fruits because of all the sugar (although apples are great source of fiber).  I eat Trader Joe's fiber cereal for breakfast with two tablespoons of flax seed powder from Sprouts.  I eat a grilled chicken salad for lunch and a proper dinner (usually salmon or steak).

As for exercise, I can't jog anymore because despite losing all that weight, I am still 4 bra sizes bigger.  I take my baby to mommy and me yoga at Zooga Yoga on Overland in Culver City.  It's a tighten and tone class.  I also take regular yoga classes.  Your daughter is probably too old to carry, which tones you up.  

I'm an avid rollerblader, and I have a pair of Kangoo shoes but can't use them right now because of my boobs.  You could also try Elliptifit on Santa Monica Blvd next to Laughing Frog Yoga.  It's a 45 minute group cardio workout on elliptical machines.  Not sure where you are located.

But most important:  Drink water!  Drink at least half your weight in ounces.  So if you are 150lbs, drink 75ounces of water a day.

Krystle V.
Krystle V. 6 years ago

Great thanks for the tips! Yes I nursed too and it def helped! Not I need to tighten up the fat!!! Yoga sounds great! And water is a good point! Thanks

Mandee L.
Mandee L. 6 years ago

I've been doing Jillian Michaels 90 day workout program. You can get the dvd set at Target. I lost the baby weight but one year later I still feel flabbier so I wanted to get more toned. The workouts are only 30 minutes long so I do it while the baby naps or after she goes to bed. So far I'm really happy with the results. I've also done her 30 Day Shred dvds and had good results.

Tracy F.
Tracy F. 6 years ago

The water definitely helps.  I also recommend lots of Green Tea.  For fitness, I do pilates and pure barre.  I have found that both can completely change the shape of your body if you stick with it and practice regularly (2 to 3x per week).

Jennifer L.
Jennifer L. 6 years ago

Hi Krystle,

Congrats on exploring new ways to stay active while burning a healthy amount of calories.  In my experience, it becomes more of a challenge to lose weight as you approach your goal and I picked up some helpful tips along my way to dropping a few pounds since my pregnancy.

There are a lot of myths about weight loss, but I found the following info extremely helpful in pushing me over the hump.

The body must raise the temperature of the contents in the stomach to the body's temperature during the digestion process. This requires energy. If I recall, the body has two types of food stores...one type of food store that contains energy from the food digested that day and the other that contains unused energy from food digested in previous days--this last one is what we refer to as fat.

Before the body burns fat, the body burns the energy stored from food digested that day.  When you wake up in the morning, the body's non-fat food stores are usually depleted.  This is an optimal time to kickstart the body's metabolism  by drinking a glass of ice cold water.  I started putting a pitcher of water and ice in the refrigerator the night before and drink a glass or two if I could stomach it the moment I woke up the next morning.

This helped me get a jump on burning calories and translated into a greater commitment to eating healthy and exercising later in the day.  Now the amount of calories of that one glass is not significant, but it can be significant if you drink 6-8 glasses of ice water each day.  I also would drink ice water between meals and drink warm liquids during meals because I feel better and a lot less bloated than I might otherwise would—I think the warm liquid supports digestion.  Lastly, I recommend waiting to eat at least 20 minutes or more after you consume a glass of ice water.

Other things…

Take stairs instead of an elevator when not inconvenient.

Take a walk in the morning and the evening if you can.

Eat foods with fiber so you feel more full and eat less as a result.

Try to consume most of your carbs earlier in the day and shift more of the proteins you consume to later in the day.

Diet and exercise at a pace that you can maintain or else you will set yourself up for failure…and if you over do the dieting by putting your body into starvation mode, you could gain any weight you lost plus more back.  

Spend some time learning about how certain simple sugars can trigger the body to store energy as fat.

Good luck!  Please keep us posted.

Krystle V.
Krystle V. 6 years ago

Thanks!!! I am off to the gym now! Ive heard about cold water in am, thats an easy one!