Feeding & Nutrition
5 replies
Who's talking? (3)
Jenna F.
Tracy F.
Krystle V.

Introducing food to baby

Jenna F. 6 years ago

My baby is going on 4 months.  At what point does rice cereal get introduced into the diet.  I also hear that this makes babies sleep better?

Tracy F.
Tracy F. 6 years ago

I think every pediatrician does it differently but somewhere between 4 & 6 months.   We started with rice cereal at 4 months.    I know a lot of people who gave it morning and night and did get better sleepers out of it.  It didn't work that way for us.   Our son never liked it that much so we gave mainly pureed fruits and veggies instead.   If you son is breastfed be careful of constipation when you start the rice cereal.    It can really easily cause constipation in solely breastfed babies.  Our son had problems with it and was miserable until we stopped giving it and switched over to fruits. 

Krystle V.
Krystle V. 6 years ago

Hi Jenna, I started my daugter with oatmeal first and everything went well. I read that rice can make babies constipated so I went with oatmeal since its more gentle. Give it a try!  I only started with about a teaspoon and mixed it with breastmilk or formula!

Krystle V.
Krystle V. 6 years ago

Avacoado is also a good first food. http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/solidfood4to6montholdbaby.htm is an amazing site! I live by it!

Tracy F.
Tracy F. 6 years ago

I love that site too.   We liked pears as our first food when we decided to skip cereal.

Tracy F.
Tracy F. 6 years ago

This is a great class by Cynthia Epps in Westlake.

First Foods for Optimal Growth
Friday, March 22nd at 1:00PM

at
The Pump Station: Westlake VIllage, CA
Village Glen Plaza
2879 Agoura Rd.
Westlake Village, CA 91361